Homemade Stockings

 In preparation for Christmas, C and I went on a stocking hunt. Sometimes, men surprise you at what they are particular about. This day was one of those days. Out of at least a hundred stockings, there was not a one that C liked enough to bring home. So, I decided we would find a way to make one so that we could pick out the fabrics exactly like we wanted. 

Low and behold: The Homemade Stockings

What you need:
1/2 Yard of Exterior Fabric
1/4 Yard of Cuff Fabric
1/2 Yard of White Lining
1/2 Yard of Batting
6" Strip of Ribbon
Matching Thread
Marker

 Step 1: Make your pattern for the shape of the stocking you would like.
 Step 2: Fold the exterior fabric in half. Lay your pattern as close to the two raw edges as you can.
Step 3: Trace the pattern onto the exterior fabric. 
 Step 4: Cut out the outlined stocking.

Step 5: Repeat on both the batting and the lining material.
 Step 6: Turn the exterior fabrics to face each other. Lay the batting on both sides of the exterior fabric. So you will have:
Batting
Exterior Fabric
Exterior Fabric
Batting

Step 7: Sew around the edges leaving roughly a 1/2" seam allowance.

Step 8: Cut off remaining fabric outside of seam allowance to reduce bulk.
Step 9: Turn inside out

Step 10: Sew the lining same as you did the fabric and batting, but do not turn the lining inside out. 
Step 11: Place the lining in between the two layers of batting on the inside of the stocking. 
Step 12: Cut a 16" by 9" rectangle out of the cuff fabric. Cut a 16" by 4.5" rectangle out of the batting material.

Step 13: Lay the batting against the wrong side of the cuff fabric. 
 Step 14: Fold in half with the batting on the outside. Sew up along the short side of the rectangle. 
 Step 15: Fold the cuff in half.
 Step 16: Place the cuff inside the lining with the raw edges of the cuff lining up with the raw edges of the lining and stocking. Also make sure that the seam on the cuff lines up with the seam on the back of the stocking. Fold the ribbon in half. Place along the back seam of the stocking in between the cuff and the lining. Make sure the loop is pointing into the stocking. So you should have:
Exterior Fabric/Batting
Lining
Ribbon
Cuff
Cuff
Lining
Exterior Fabric/Batting

Step 17: Sew around the edge of the stocking. 
Step 18: Turn inside out. Make sure that the loop pulls out as shown above; otherwise, you did not have the loop facing into the stocking and will need to redo that last seam. 
Step 19: Stuff with some sweet notes or simple gifts and enjoy.

As you can see, I ended up making a few more. Now, the whole Pless family has a stocking (even Skip). We are now trying to figure out how to add our names. I tried to take advantage of my button addiction, but it was too hard to read. If you have any ideas, please share. I'm open to suggestions. 

42 comments:

G Inspires said...

Good job these are super cute!

Amber Branconier said...

Fabric paint would work for putting your names on it or hand stitching it.
have a great week my deary!

Sofia L said...

Awesome work. I love your fabric choices!

Sew Country Chick said...

Wjat a cute stocking project. Thanks for the inspiration. It was so cute i had to check it out! I saw you on 2 linky parties.

Jeanette said...

Very cute stockings, love the fabric.

fringe design said...

Send them to me and I'll hand-embroider them! maybe on a little rectangle of solid fabric or felt that way it doesn't get lost in the patterns and you can put it on the cuff!! Very cute Amber!

Jill said...

Gorgeous stockings! I love the fabric you chose! You could always cut out and iron on your names with fusible webbing (Bondaweb? not sure what it's called in different parts of the world!)

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

These look so fun, the fabrics are great! No idea of adding names, good luck though!

Q @ JAQS said...

These are gorgeous!

Love for you to join my Linky Party - JAQS "Made by ME" at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/11/made-by-me-6-linky-party-and-features.html

Pat said...

Love your stockings!

Happy in red said...

These are fantastic! Makes me wish we'd celebrate Christmas! (We celebrate Sinterklaas in The Netherlands).
Esther.

Mary@QuiltGenius said...

Great stockings! Just lovely.

Mary
http://www.quiltgenius.com

Jennifer said...

ah so cute! stockings are definitely on my to do list!

Julie said...

Hey, I go to check out WIP Wednesday posts and find a bonus tutorial, awesome! My kids still don't have homemade stockings, thanks for this! I'm definitely pinning this one!

Jana said...

These are adorable.

Heather D. said...

Very sweet stockings, and looks like a pretty easy project too. Thanks!

Foolish Feathers said...

You are going to save me! We have had the same problem with my husband not liking what is being sold in stores. Right now we have two miss-matched ones, but with a baby coming my husband has this idea he'd love for us to have stockings that are nice, new and matching or at least coordinating! I love you, you have saved me, I know he will like these ones! (I am bookmarking you!)

Kerstin said...

Cute stockings. It's so much more personal when they are homemade!

Megan said...

So fun! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

Leanne said...

Lovely stockings!

Maggie said...

What a great tutorial!

KristyLou said...

Fun! I will definitely have to try this.

Christie, Describe Happy said...

Your homemade stocks are so bright and fresh! Wonderful!

Marci Girl said...

Simple chain stitch embroidery for the names? They are too cute, great tutorial!

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Super cute! I just popped over from Sugar Bee Crafts. I'm trying to keep up with everyone's guest posts. Mine is tomorrow. Anyway, oh how I envy you since you can sew. These are so cute. I love the fabric choice!

Cori said...

Love them! I'm coming over from Sugar Bee Crafts. I am also making stocking this year. I have one for my son and one for my friends son. Now I am about to start my first ever Girly project with a pink stocking! I'm your newest follower and I hope you will follow back!

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

What a super awesome tutorial! You made it look totally doable. I'd love for you to share this with my readers if you have a moment. Thanks! http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/11/taking-timeout-thursday-no-4.html

Elizabeth D. said...

Super cute stockings! And I think embroidery would work well for your names... :)

Cille said...

Love the stockings :)

Marsha C said...

Homemade stockings are always the best. I tried once and had real trouble with the top. I was trying to work it without any instructions though.

Tina Peterson said...

Love your stockings. =D I've been busy sewing them up for my booths this fall and hope to sell some of them. I do make mine a little different than yours. I don't add a cuff or batting to mine. I also used holiday ribbon for the loop.

Love the fabric you choose!

Tina "The Book Lady"
http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com

Sew Country Chick said...

 I was hoping you would be so kind as to post your project on my Sew & Tell Saturday linky party at my blog this Saturday. Its geared specifically for sewing projects and fabric related crafts.Thanks so much!
Justine @
 Sew Country Chick

Danielle said...

These are awesome lady! I am doing Homemade in December on my blog and would love for you to share this tutorial during homemade decor week. Want do you think? You up for being a guest on Blissful and Domestic?

Rosie said...

This is a great tutorial. I would love it if you wanted to link up at my new weekly Christmas Link Party. It starts this Monday.

http://twelvecraftsofchristmas.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-christmas-link-party-no1.html

Rosie

Would be great to see you there if you have the time!

Rachel said...

I've made many a stocking for my family. Those are some great fabrics.

Katy Cameron said...

Very cute! My mum made ours from printed panels 30 years ago - my only advice is that if you embroider something at the top, like, say, 'Mummy' or 'Daddy' you'll still have it there 30 years later when no-one calls you that any more. Just sayin' ;o)

Sassy Sites! said...

Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites FFA party on Friday!! I LOVE to see all of the great ideas! All week this week, we will be doing Thanksgiving themed link ups. Monday is all about Turkeys, so if you have something you've created that is turkey-ish :)... come by tomorrow and link it up!!

XOXO!!
marni @ Sassy Sites!

Allison said...

those are awesome stockings! thanks for the how-to :)

Leila said...

What fun fabrics you choose!

Allegory said...

No joke I was *just* thinking about how I needed to make some stockings! Thanks for the how-to!

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

I love homemade stockings! Sooo much better than store bought. Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow :)
-Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

Natasha said...

wish i had seen this post sooner, as i would have added it to my Top 10 Christmas Stockings post

Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday.
Hope to see you there again tomorrow

Natasha xxx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers